Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Sub'r Bowl Review: Jason's Deli

Jason's Deli was a popular choice when we first decided on the Sub'r Bowl contender list. I'm not sure why that is, since, to my knowledge, Jason's Deli doesn't actually advertize or sell subs on their menu. Well, that's not entirely true, as they do have a couple of items under a "Subs" section on their menu; but it didn't look promising, and I was expecting very little.

At the store where we went there were only three choices on the subs menu: the Deli Cowboy, the Beefeater, and the Sergeant Pepper. I suppose technically you could order anything you like on the bread of your choice since it is, after all, a deli. However, the closest thing to a sub roll is their "New Orleans French bread." Anyway, we didn't go to rate a sandwich that we came up with but rather what Jason's Deli was offering to us as their "specialty." Unfortunately their specialty sandwiches do not include a sub, so I ended up ordering the Sergeant Pepper.

In a somewhat similar outcome to our trip to Firehouse Subs, what we got was far worse than what was expected. You may remember what Thumper's father told him. I guess a double negative means I that have to say something, as this is, after all, a review.

Bread: Bland. Roast beef: Tasteless. Au jus: Black salty water. Side: Imitation Ruffles spread on the plate. Verdict: Terrible. Quite frankly, the only thing that made the sandwich edible was the sweetness from the peppers, which kept falling out of the roll. So, the sandwich wasn't a total zero, but it was near the bottom of what I would consider eating again.

Unlike Firehouse, I didn't find the food to be completely inedible, just thoroughly unenjoyable. I felt full when I left, but not satisfied. I may have been nourished, but I'm not a doctor. And there really isn't anything more to say about Jason's Deli.

I rated the following categories:
  • Bread: 3
  • Sandwich Stuff: 3
  • Price/Value: 3
  • Non-sandwich Stuff: 0
  • Bonus points: 0
  • Total: 9 points
I could have rated this 0 across the board, but compared to other outings (specifically Firehouse Subs) it just didn't seem warranted. I didn't leave feeling angry, just extremely disappointed. Jason's Deli serves mass produced consumables designed to be bought cheaply in bulk for poor unfortunates trapped in corporate meetings during lunch. To end this on a positive note, at least the box lunches come with a cookie.

See Also:
Greg's Review

No comments:

Post a Comment